Background 1

Monday, May 2, 2011

Day by day

Julie, checking in again...Some days are better than others, when it comes to missing Michigan. When I say Michigan, I don't mean "the state of"...I mean my home, my family, my friends and the comfort of being somewhere familiar. Knowing where to go and who to go to, when you are having a rough day. Don't get me wrong, I love Colorado, and when I say Colorado, I do mean "the state of". It is more beautiful, exciting, and adventurous than any place I have ever been, but it just doesn't compare to "home".  It can't, no matter how many absolutely beautiful days, awesome hikes, mountain goats next to the expressway, and antelope in a field...I still miss Michigan. Believe it or not, I miss metro-Detroit. It's the complete opposite of where I live now - but it holds so many memories, dear friends and family...some days I wake up and for a brief moment, I am back in Rochester at my old apartment, ready to go running with "The Team" at Stony Creek...there are days I am driving home, I get lost in a thought, the mountains disappear and are replaced by the Lakes of Waterford, and I am just minutes from good friends and cocktails on the boat. Sometimes the memories catch me off guard and I am lost in a sea of them...one after another, a long day at work, and I find myself day dreaming about General Dynamics and the years of friendships made there, softball, business trips and the long-never-ending-meetings I used to despise that have somehow become a fond memory now...it's funny how your mind does that. Sunday's after church, I find myself thinking of what I could bring to my parents for a late afternoon bbq...those are the toughest ones, because I would give anything to just hop in the car and head over there, but I can't (or it would take me 2 days, lol). That is when I must move forward...on to the next big plan - don't let the tears come, because then it's all over and they won't stop. Stay busy, go for a run with my honey...thank God for him. Before you know it, 6 months are up and we are home again - even if it is only for a couple of days. A sweet taste of familiarity and love. It will be enough to get me through until the next time I can make it to the mitten...and until then we will stay busy and enjoy life and all that the State of Colorado has to offer...we LOVE visitors :)

1 comment:

  1. Julie - you sure have a way with words! You've said it all perfectly! It's so sad/lonely to have you and Gary way out there in Colorado but also so exciting and wonderful for the two of you to start your lives together fresh and new! Be quite sure that we miss you as much as you miss home... Mom

    ReplyDelete